You are required to pay taxes and complete a tax return each year if you make over a certain amount of money. For example, in 2022, a single student without children had to file taxes if their gross income was at least $12,000. Each year, these income thresholds change. Find out current filing requirements on the IRS website

Tax Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

If you paid any interest on your student loans during 2022, you can deduct up to $2,500 on your federal tax return. If you are single, your adjusted gross income on your tax return must be less than $85,000. You will need the 1098-E form from your student loan lender. Please check the IRS website for more current information.
Generally, scholarships and grants are not included on the federal tax return.  But, if you have funds left over after paying tuition, fees, books, and supplies… then the remaining amount must be included on your tax return. If you have a job on campus, then those funds must be included on your tax return. You will receive a W-2 from your college/university.

Yes, if you are pursuing a degree, you may qualify for an education credit. There are two types of tax credits that exist. These can be used by you on your own return or by the person who claims you as a dependent on their tax return. The person claiming the credit will need to complete tax form 8863 to determine eligibility.

  • American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) - AOTC is a credit for certain educational expenses up to $2,500. You must be in your first four years of college, enrolled in a degree plan, and your adjusted gross income must be less than $90,000.
  • Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) - If you do not qualify for the AOTC, you may be eligible for the LLC.   This credit is for part-time or full-time students enrolled in a degree or job-skill training program. This credit provides up to $2,000 in credit. 

You can seek help from a tax professional or use an online program that will walk you through the filing process.

Here is a list of free Tax filing software for Students:

  • IRS Free File: If your adjusted gross income is less than $73,000, you qualify to use their services
  • H & R Block: You can prepare your federal tax return for free. Customer support for a fee.
  • Cash App Taxes: Cash App allows you to file a federal tax return for free. Customer support is unavailable.
  • FreeTaxUSA: You can file federal tax returns for free. They offer live customer support for a fee.
  • TaxAct: Tax Act offers a free option for federal tax preparation. Customer support is unavailable.

Volunteers Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free tax guidance to anyone who lives with a disability, speaks limited English, or earns less than $58,000 a year.
Baker Ripley (formerly Neighborhood Centers) provides tax and financial services at 11 convenient locations throughout the Greater Houston area. Services are available to anyone who earns less than $58,000.

Tax resource by MoneyGeek provides additional information regarding tax credits and deductions for education, undocumented student tax forms (W-7), international student tax forms (1042-S and 8843), and tricky tax issues for military students.

A college or university that received qualified tuition and related expenses on your behalf is required to file Form 1098-T with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 states that educational institutions are required to file and furnish a Form 1098-T to students whose payments for qualified billed tuition and related expenses were received. The information being reported to the IRS verifies your enrollment with regard to certain eligibility criteria for the Hope Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit and the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction. However, the enrollment information by itself does not establish eligibility for either credit or deduction.

Note: Continuing Education tuition and fees are not eligible to report to the IRS Form 1098-T.

Tax statements will be accessible online through your S.O.S. login under the “Students” tab. Select the Student Account Summary, Official 1098-T Tuition Statement, then enter the year. All tax statements will be available on or before January 31.

Please confirm your address by logging into your S.O.S. account under the Welcome page select the “Students” tab. Select the Student option then Student Profile, click on your name to view and ensure that we have the updated address on file for reporting purposes.

Reporting to the IRS requires we include your Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN/ITIN). San Jacinto College will be notifying all students with no SSN on file to update their account if they wish to receive a tuition tax statement. If you received a notice, please fill out the form and return it to the Admissions Office.

SSN/ITIN updates will be accepted through February 16, 2024. A Form 1098-T will not be generated for students who do not have an SSN/ITIN on file by February 16, 2024.

To receive a copy of your 1098-T via mail, e-mail with your student ID and name. (Please do not include your SSN). Forms 1098-T are mailed to the current address on file with the College. You can verify your address by accessing your SOS account and selecting Student Profile. Address updates can be made with the Admissions Department at any campus.

SJC will report all charges billed to the account within the calendar year (Jan. 1st-Dec. 31st). Students are billed and incur charges at the point of registration for classes. If you registered for Spring classes in October-December, your charges were incurred at that time, making those charges eligible to claim the previous year. These charges would have been reflected on the previous year's 1098-T.

No, the IRS does not require reporting for the following categories:

  • Continuing Professional Development/Continuing Education courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.
  • Nonresident alien students
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived, exempted, or paid entirely with scholarships.
  • Students whose expenses are covered by a 3rd party billing arrangement.
  • Box 1 - Payments received by San Jacinto College during the tax year from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during the year of payment being received.
  • Box 2 - Payments received for qualified tuition and fees.
  • Box 4 - Adjustments made for a prior year Form 1098-T. This may reduce any allowable education credit that you claimed for the prior year.
  • Box 5 - The total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year reduces the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit you may claim for the year.
  • Box 6 - Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year. This may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit claimed for the prior year.
  • Box 8 - is checked if you have been a student for 6 credit hours (half time) or more for one academic period that began during the calendar year.
  • San Jacinto College currently reports in box 1, payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses. San Jac reports all registration that occurred between January 1, 20XX - December 31, 20XX.
  • You may be required to submit receipts as proof of payment. If so, you may submit your Schedule Bill.

Although San Jacinto College provides the information that appears on your 1098-T form, our staff is not qualified to answer any tax-related questions or give tax advice. You are encouraged to contact your individual tax preparer/advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Contact the IRS :

We have undergone some 1098-T template changes and our new process will not furnish a 1098-T statement if the box 5 amount (scholarships and grants) is larger than the box 1 amount (payments towards qualified tuition). Institutions are not required to furnish a 1098-T for students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships and grants. Please feel free to contact our accounts receivables department for further assistance.

Still Have Questions?

Any further questions can be directed to the San Jacinto College Accounts Receivables District Business Office at

You may also want to consider viewing the following websites for more detailed information: (type 1098-T in search box)